- Join an innovative animal welfare organization in Phoenix to help animals and people in need throughout the state of Arizona
- Become an important member of the management team to ensure all proper protocols and practices are being followed and drive the overall development and services of the veterinary department
- We are genuinely committed to maintaining a sound work/life balance
Our goal is to continue to be an innovative leader in the animal welfare sector. As a part of the management team, you will help develop the strategy of the organization, especially the medical department, plus provide expertise and leadership to the veterinary team, and, most importantly, to those in the organization that care for the animals on a day-to-day basis.
Working with a great team already in place, consisting of up to 4 Veterinarians, 10 Vet Techs and support staff, you will oversee the direction and care of more than 4,000 shelter animals each year, along with hundreds of clients in our low-cost clinic. As a part of the management team, you will also help develop the strategy of the organization, especially the medical department, and provide expertise to the team, the board of directors and, most importantly, those in the organization that care for the animals. You will have an opportunity to mentor medical staff and continue to advance the department. Our goal is to continue to be an innovative leader in the animal welfare sector and an important resource for partners throughout the state of Arizona and the Western United States.
The Arizona Animal Welfare League was founded in 1971 by Amanda Blake (Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke). Over the past 50 years the organization has developed into a very efficient and innovative limited intake facility with full services, including: adoptions (4,000+ dogs, cats, puppies and kittens), foster program, volunteer program (more than 600 active volunteers), an excellent humane education program for children and teens, shelter and low-cost public clinics, a secondary location in a high volume Mall location (replacing a puppy mill store) and a highly collaborative team of leaders who have been with the organization for 5+ years.
We are a private non-profit organization, large enough to make a significant difference in the community (and the state), but small enough to make rapid changes when needed. We believe in trying new things even if they don’t always work.
We have formed partnerships with 30+ rural rescue organizations as well as Mill Dog Rescue to save puppies and dogs that would otherwise be at risk. We also provide our partners with supplies and expertise to help them do a better job of saving animals.
We have been here a couple of times to adopt cats. Both experiences were fantastic! Your able to meet with the animals and pick out what pet will work best for you. Our first cat we adopted, Luke, was such a love! He was as healthy as could be too! This was before COVID-19 happened. Today we went in to adopt our second cat, Bisquit, and it was once again a great experience. Not only are they taking precautions during this time, their customer service was great! If you are looking to add a new family member definitely check here first! – Ashley Shaw (Google Review)
About this role
- Arizona DVM license in good standing, or ability to obtain
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in shelter medicine
- Management and leadership experience
- Ability to keep accurate and complete medical records
- Computer skills including word, excel, power point, Hippo (preferred), Petpoint
- Ability to collect and analyze data and present to management/board
- Experience or willingness to consult with rescue partners/others
- A collaborative leader with the ability to work with a diverse team
- A compassionate person who is empathetic toward both animals and people
- Someone with the ability to deal with adversity with patience and professionalism
- A team player who enjoys working with others with a good sense of humor
- A person that knows how to lead people with a helpful and positive attitude
Phoenix is a rapidly growing, affordable and unique city with universities, incredible restaurants, arts, cultural organizations, and access to every kind of climate, from the beaches of Mexico to the mountains of Northern Arizona, making it ideal for individuals, couples and families alike.
We are located on the northern edge of Phoenix Sky Harbor airport and close to downtown. We are just off two major freeways which makes commuting easy.
- Salary range is based on experience and ranges from $105,000 – $125,000 plus benefits
- Arizona Veterinary Medical and DEA license fees paid
- AVMA, ASSN of Shelter Veterinarians and Arizona VMA membership fees paid
- Liability and malpractice insurance paid
- Medical, dental and vision insurance paid at 100%
- Paid time off (negotiable)
- Continuing Education Allowance
- The opportunity to advance both shelter medicine and low-cost public services
- Flexible schedule and the opportunity to mentor and teach medical staff
- Making a difference in the lives of animals and people in the state of Arizona
It's time to apply
If you are interested in joining our dynamic team of professionals, please contact Judith Gardner, President and CEO at +1 602-273-6852, Ext. 143 for an initial chat.
Here at Vet & Pet Jobs our vet jobs Campaigns reach across the complete range of veterinary jobs – Veterinarian jobs, Associate Veterinarian jobs, Emergency Veterinarian jobs, Veterinary Technician jobs, Locum Relief Veterinarian jobs and many more. Browse by job type, state or city and click through to each Job Campaign for all the details plus each one has a quick video to help you drill down to the key elements in each veterinary job to help you decide on which ones to apply for.
Job Seekers can register and create daily or weekly Job Alerts to notify you when new career opportunities are posted. So, whether you are looking for veterinary jobs in Los Angeles, California or Seattle, Washington or Miami, Florida or New York City, New York and all points in between, you can find the best veterinary jobs for your next career step.
And for Veterinary Hospitals and Vet Clinics, you can find the best veterinary professionals – GP Veterinarians, Emergency Vets, Associate DVM’s, Vet Techs and Relief Vets and Techs – across the USA and Canada, and build your team – register as an Employer and post your Job Campaign today.