ER Veterinary Technician
- Flagship emergency exotic clinic in Chicagoland area
- Opportunity for growth and development in high volume clinic
You will be an invaluable member of the hospital team working directly with the DVM and supporting medical staff to ensure productive and quality veterinary care at all times. Work collaboratively with Veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently. Flexible hours include weekends and holidays.
We are a family oriented team that likes to work hard and have fun while we do it! If you’re looking for a hospital where growth, learning, and opportunity are readily available, this is the clinic for you. As the flagship of emergency exotic clinics in the Chicagoland area, we get to see many interesting cases!
We are very grateful to have the Midwest Team care for our piggies, Chamoy and Xochitl. We have had years of health issues and scares but even during the scariest of times, we know that our fur babies are in good hands. Thank you to Dr. Alia and staff for everything that you do! You are knowledgeable, compassionate, and just the absolute best! – Alyssa (Google Review)
About this role
- Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
- Prepares and administer medications and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Obtains radio graphs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
- Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
- Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively handle and control aggressive animals.
- Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary clinic environment, including the use of euthanasia.
- Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
- Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, time management, judgment and decision-making skills.
- Experience in exotic animals a plus but not a requirement.
Benefits and Compensation
Pay is based on experience and schooling/license. Competitive benefits package, paid vacation, paid sick time available for the full-time position.
- Time and a half for all major holidays worked
- Opportunities for school sponsorship CVT program at Penn Foster
- 401 K
- Medical, dental, and vision.
- Paid time off
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the company to afford equal opportunities to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, non-disqualifying disability or status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran.
It's time to apply
Apply now to join our family of veterinary care professionals!
Here at Vet & Pet Jobs our vet jobs Campaigns reach across the complete range of veterinary jobs – Veterinarian jobs, Associate Veterinarian jobs, Emergency Veterinarian jobs, Veterinary Technician jobs, Locum Relief Veterinarian jobs and many more. Browse by job type, state or city and click through to each Job Campaign for all the details plus each one has a quick video to help you drill down to the key elements in each veterinary job to help you decide on which ones to apply for.
Job Seekers can register and create daily or weekly Job Alerts to notify you when new career opportunities are posted. So, whether you are looking for veterinary jobs in Los Angeles, California or Seattle, Washington or Miami, Florida or New York City, New York and all points in between, you can find the best veterinary jobs for your next career step.
And for Veterinary Hospitals and Vet Clinics, you can find the best veterinary professionals – GP Veterinarians, Emergency Vets, Associate DVM’s, Vet Techs and Relief Vets and Techs – across the USA and Canada, and build your team – register as an Employer and post your Job Campaign today.