Surgery & Vaccine Veterinary Assistant
- We are hiring so that we may expand our programs & services at our Vaccine and Spay/Neuter clinic. Come grow with us!
Our vision is that all central Indiana animals are treated with dignity and respect and live free from cruelty, harm, and neglect. In this Surgery & Vaccine Veterinary Assistant role you will be responsible for working with our Vaccine Clinic Veterinarians to provide wellness services for walk-in vaccination clinic patients, as well as assisting in spay/neuter surgery including providing check-in/out, prep, recovery & husbandry support.
Surgery & Vaccine Veterinary Assistant
Responsible for working with vaccine clinic veterinarian to provide wellness services for walk-in vaccination clinic patients, as well as assisting in spay/neuter surgery providing check-in/check-out, prep, recovery, and husbandry support/assistance.
- Handle and track medications for large volumes of surgical patients
- Efficiently restrain animals, induce and intubate as needed.
- Ensure prompt and accurate procedures are followed each day
- Communicate with clients before and after surgery and assist with rechecks as needed
- Assist with beginning- and end-of-shift duties.
- Assist veterinarians and other staff members as needed
- All other duties as assigned. Minimum requirements
- Current driver’s license for the State of Indiana
- Must be able to learn basic veterinary medical concepts including but not limited to: vaccine protocols and anesthetic risks
- Must also be able to clearly communicate basic veterinary concepts to owners and be able to repeat information relayed by a veterinarian.
- Must be able to take thorough medical histories for surgical rechecks.
- Communicate with the public daily in a professional and friendly manner
- Must have excellent attendance and positive attitude.
- Must be able to maintain a positive attitude in a fast-passed environment and under pressure
- Must have excellent customer service skills and a desire to educate the public.
- Must be a self-starter and enjoy working in teams.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds (additional weight with assistance).
- Must be able to twist, bend, and squat repetitively.
- Must be comfortable handling (on average) 25-30+ dogs and cats per day.
- Must be able to learn/understand characteristics of animal behavior.
- Must be able to use appropriate safety equipment for fractious or feral animals (will train) – the use of safety equipment is mandatory.
- Must become proficient at animal restraint for various procedures.
- Must be able to provide vaccinations, microchips, and administer fluids proficiently
- Must be able to draw blood on awake and sleeping animals.
- At least two years’ experience in a veterinary clinic or have corresponding education
- Tues-Fri: 7a-5p (or 8a-6p)
- One Saturday every 4-6 weeks from 930a-430p
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Pet Wellness discounts
Here at Vet & Pet Jobs, our listings of Veterinarian jobs, Veterinary Nurse jobs, Veterinary Technician jobs, Veterinary Hospital Manager jobs and Relief Vet Locum jobs in the USA and Canada makes the process of Vet Job hunting fast and easy.
Before you know it, you’ll be starting a new job in an exciting Veterinary Hospital, Vet Clinic, Pharmaceutical, Agricultural or other Pet and Animal Care business, and it all starts with just one click.
And for Veterinary Hospitals, Vet Clinics, Agriculture, Pharmaceutical and other Pet Care and Animal businesses, post your Job Campaign for Veterinarians, Veterinary Nurses, Veterinary Technicians, Vet Hospital Managers, Agri Veterinarians, Pharma Veterinarians and other Pet and Animal Care roles and more. Find the best Veterinary professionals and build your team. Register and post your Job Campaign today.